The Chaos

The Chaos

Monday, July 11, 2011

Jealous God


I opened up my Bible this afternoon. This is my absolute favorite Bible out of the shelves of Bibles that consume our living room book shelf. It was a gift from my church when I graduated High School and has my daddy's handwriting in the front cover. I used it through my years at Liberty University and it's been my "devotional Bible" ever since. It's falling apart so badly that it must remain in the Bible cover otherwise I will lose half of the pages.

Today as I began my journey towards spiritual awakening I decided to use my Bible and the aid of a devotional book given to me by a great friend. It's a daily devotional similar to the style of Oswald Chambers, "My Utmost for His Highest".... it's by Sarah Young and called "Jesus Calling".

Unsure why it won't load upright... weird picture I guess.

I found it almost humorous that today's devotional for July 11th was about the jealous nature of God (via Exodus 20: 4-5). How jealous must God be for the time that I spend doing anything other than seeking or worshipping Him? I realize as a mommy that I cannot live in some monastery type state of mind but certainly He is worthy of my spare moments and even more. What's amazing is that when we make Him a priority, we find ourselves drawn to conversations with Him throughout the day's events and routines. And we learn that it becomes easier and easier to give Him more than just our "spare" time, but ALL of our time. Time with God can be truly addicting because of the encouragement, discipline, and guidance found in His Words.

What is God jealous of in your life?
What things consume your time, leaving nothing for Him?
What can you do to change that?

No comments:

Post a Comment