The Chaos

The Chaos

Monday, November 22, 2010

Thankfulness Day 5- Liberty

In the fall of 2000, I began a very important journey.
The journey of a college freshman.
I started that journey at Liberty University.
Eight years later after making mistakes, breaking off relationships, starting new relationships, following careers, and then starting a family... I ended that journey with a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology. I was blessed to round out my college journey at the very place I started and am proud to say that I am now a Liberty University Alumni.


This weekend my two oldest kiddos (the girls) and my nephew accompanied me to a LU football game on Saturday afternoon. Returning to my college stomping grounds brings a since of nostalgia and pride. My daughters, nephew, and I joined in the screams as they scored touchdowns and enjoyed the excitement of the crowd.



In spite of the massive pile of student loans indebtedness that I incurred throughout my college education, I am extremely thankful for the opportunity that I had to receive a Christian education. My time on campus as a freshman and sophomore were some of the most spiritually defining years of my life and I draw on those experiences in my ministry to this day. The friends I made then are still part of what I consider to be "family" and the memories made on that campus will not soon be forgotten.

And as I sat on the cold, hard, bleacher watching the game down below I was thankful for those memories. But even more thankful for the opportunities I have everyday to make memories with my own chaos. From days at home playing to day trips, our lives are full of moments that will go into their mental memory box. Moments that they will remember for decades and beyond, moments that will make them proud, moments that will define them.

Second Corinthians 5:17 says very clearly, "That old has gone, the new has come". Paul was referring to our relationship with Christ, signifying that upon salvation our sins are forgiven. God forgets them, banishes them. Unlike our memories, that retain every detail, God forgives us as soon as we ask. And though my memories are dear and I do not necessarily wish to dispose of them, I am thankful for the opportunity to make new ones. (And it goes without saying that I am thankful for God's forgiveness and the second chances that He gives.)


I am thankful for my moments at Liberty University, but even more thankful for my everyday moments with my amazing children and husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment