The Chaos

The Chaos

Monday, November 15, 2010

It takes a village

Currently you are well aware that living under the same roof are my husband, myself and our four children along with my sister-in-law and nephew. We are the very representation of what I believe will become a new American trend, the re-emergence of extended families sharing the same household. But don't let my blogs fool you. Even before I had the awesome help of Kelly in my home, I have never done this thing called "motherhood" on my own.

Being in the ministry means that my kids have been "church babies" from day one. We are surrounded with people who have always offered help, advice, care, concern, and lots and lots of love to our family as it grew, and grew, and grew!

I remember hearing the phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" and thinking that such a concept was completely and totally absurd. Now, however, six years into raising children of my own... if it weren't for that village, I'd be bald.

Part of raising well rounded and kind children is surrounding them with people who love them. Sometimes that means they love them enough to correct them. Other times it means they love them enough to offer cuddles and hugs. Love is a multi-faceted job and responsibility.

This weekend I was reminded how lucky our family is to have those that are not "blood related" involved in the lives of our children. We celebrated Dean Kelly's 4th Birthday with a party on Saturday (I will blog more on that on Wednesday, his actual birthday) with our close "family" friends. Dean was surrounded by those that truly loved him, some loved him to the point of public embarrassment (see the 3rd picture down... Dean with his "almost uncle" Drew). And that is love indeed.

So this blog is to say "thank you" to those that we claim as "ours" (you know who you are... there's a whole LOT of you). Without your love shown to our kids at church, at parties, on play dates, etc... well the Gaffner's wouldn't be quite the same.

Thanks for being our village.





No comments:

Post a Comment