The Chaos

The Chaos

Friday, December 3, 2010

Countdown... 22 days


With only 22 days until Christmas, the season is in full swing. I have the radio tuned to Q99 playing non-stop Christmas carols and yesterday I finally got the porch decorated.


Lately I have spent most of the days hassling my boys to stop playing with the ornaments, but I guess they are just too tempting. Yesterday I failed to blog at all so I am one ornament behind in my quest to tell a story per day from our family Christmas tree. Today I will make up for it with a two-for-one, and I will try to be brief.

Hanging proudly near the star of our tree is...


For those that don't already know, I adore The Wizard of Oz and have for years. Many years. When I was a toddler I used to watch it in the lap of my maternal grandfather, Jack Kennedy. He passed away when I was 4 and I carry with me his memory in my Wizard of Oz collection that finds its home in my kitchen. I am not sure what I like so much about it, though I suppose most of my fascination is tied to the shared memory of my "Poppy". I love it so much, in fact, that I am planning to create an entire 30th birthday around a Wizard of Oz theme, with me as Dorothy... of course. You're all invited, so put it on your calenders for September 13, 2012. This particular ornament is just one of several Wizard of Oz themed ornaments that adorn our spectacular tree.

Another family favorite...


Our own personal Michigan. For all you geography buffs, I'm sure you easily recognized this abnormally shaped State. This ornament was a gift from none other than my Michigan Mom, aka my wonderful Mother-in-law Pamela Gaffner. Michael's family originates from this northern state and his mother lives there, as well as grand-mother, and sister (along with some pretty awesome cousins, aunts, and uncles). We spend every other Christmas celebrating with my hysterical and always rambunctious in-laws. This year our Michigan ornament brings with it many memories of our Christmas trips. We stay in Virginia to celebrate with my family this Christmas but our Michigan family is always close-by during the Holidays, with this simple reminder on our tree.

These two ornaments carry with it memories of family. But I suppose most of our holiday traditions should be revolved around our families. Don't you think? In my family as a child, the last ornament to grace the greenery of our tree was my mom's childhood bell. It joined the ranks of our holiday decorations whether it was a "theme" tree year or not. I am not sure if our family has one particular ornament but these two are definitely among the list of our yearly decor.

Any one ornament that carries a lot of memories? What is it?

Happy 22 days 'til Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment