The Chaos

The Chaos

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Do not, Do not, Do not.... enough with the "do nots"

We all live by a set of rules whether we think we do or not.
I teach my kids daily "life rules", things that I have found are important enough to pass down to my constantly growing and maturing little ones.
For example:
- Don't hit people, it's not nice.
- Don't pee into fans, it's gross.
- Don't pick your nose and if you do, don't eat it.
- Don't get in people's face, they like their personal space.
- Don't jump from the back of the couch to the cushions, you're going to give mommy a heart attack.
- Don't make mommy have to raise her voice, you're going to give her a brain aneurysm.

I sometimes feel like my entire day is spent saying "NO", "Don't do that", "Stop", "1....2.....don't make me get to 3!".

I feel guilty at the end of a busy day because spending my time with them constantly correcting, disciplining, and counting... well it's not exactly fun OR productive (take my word for it). There are so many other things I would like to tell them in a 24 hour period, such as:
- What a beautiful art project you made on my mommy's table with your mashed potatoes.
- I am so glad that you can throw a ball all the way across the living room and your aim for the TV was perfect.
- I love that you enjoy each other's company so much that you choose to sit in time out together.

Can you tell that sarcasm gets me through the week?


All joking aside, sometimes it's just a better day when I lighten up with my list of "do nots" and just enjoy my life for the roller-coaster that it is with my kids. Positive reinforcement goes a long way, even when they are misbehaving. Negative reinforcement just feels bad for everyone involved, including Christians who attempt to use it as their primary "evangelistic" tool.

And that my friends is what today's next blog will be about.
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment